The American trucking industry posted gains in employment, number of truck drivers and truck sales through 2015, according to the newly released ATA American Trucking Trends 2016.
Trends is produced by ATA's Economics Department to provide a profile of the dynamics shaping the trucking industry. The only almanac on U.S. trucking, it also serves as a vital source of information on major trucking and transportation issues.
“In many ways, 2015 was a good year for our industry, and Trends clearly demonstrates that,” said ATA President and CEO Chris Spear. “Trends provides indispensable information to trucking companies, industry suppliers, logistics providers, analysts, public policy decision makers, investors and many others. Information that is crucial to making sound decisions about the future.”
“According to our data, trucking revenues topped $700 billion for a second straight year, setting an all-time record of $726.4 billion in 2015, while trucks moved more than 10 billion tons of freight,” said ATA Chief Economist Bob Costello. “While the first half of 2016 has been challenging for the industry, trucking is coming off two very strong years and we are optimistic about the future.”
Among the findings in this year’s edition of Trends:
· Trucking collected $726.4 billion in gross freight revenues, 81.5% of the nation’s freight bill in 2015.
· Trucks carried 10.49 tons of freight in 2015, accounting for 70.1% of domestic freight tonnage.
· In 2015, there were 3.63 million Class 8 trucks in operation.
Trends also includes data on:
· Amount of taxes the industry paid.
· The number of miles combination trucks traveled and the amount of fuel they consumed.
· Key employment data, including the number of persons working in trucking related jobs throughout all industries, number of drivers and how many women are truck drivers.
· Number of trucking companies by company size.
The complete Trends report is available in book and downloadable PDF formats. ALL TRENDS PDF SALES ARE FINAL. Report not printable from PDF.
If your company is an ATA member or you are an ATA Council Member, please login (top right) to receive member discount.
* Individual-user PDFs can be open on two computers or tablets.
** Group-user PDFs can be open on 10 computers or tablets. Group-users will receive an email with group credentials to open the PDF.